Manchester Originals have announced a number of key signings to bolster their women’s and men’s squads ahead of this summer’s The Hundred competition.
South Africa pair Lizelle Lee and Mignon du Preez will be joined by two of England’s most promising young batters in Joe Clarke and Phil Salt at Emirates Old Trafford.
Lee and Du Preez will bring plenty of experience to the north west with more than 350 international appearances between them, including the nail-biting semi-final against England at the 2017 ICC Women’s World Cup.
They will be joined by a quartet of domestic players with Danielle Collins, Alice Dyson, Cordelia Griffith and Hannah Jones all re-signing.
Manchester Originals will have no shortage of batting power in their men’s squad with Clarke clubbing the most sixes in last year’s Vitality Blast, while Salt earned an England call-up recently for his heavy hitting at the top of the order. The pair are the first men to be confirmed as being part of the men’s squad for the 2021 competition.
The Originals are one of eight new teams preparing to play in The Hundred, a new 100-ball competition that is designed to throw open cricket’s doors to everyone. Boasting world class men’s and women’s players, it will take place this summer and feature eight city-based teams from Birmingham, Cardiff, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham, Southampton and two in London. It will be screened live by Sky and the BBC.
Lizelle Lee said, “I’ve got some fantastic memories of playing in England both internationally and in the Kia Super League and I can’t wait to take part in The Hundred later this year for Manchester Originals. It’s really exciting to be playing in a new competition and I think it’s a great opportunity to continue to grow the women’s game.”
Phil Salt said: “I’m really pleased to re-sign for Manchester Originals. My family are from Manchester and I’m a big Manchester City fan so I was always very keen to make sure that I stayed with the team. I’ve been lucky enough to get more experience around the world since I got drafted, including the Big Bash this winter, which will hopefully stand me in good stead for The Hundred this summer.”
More than 100 players have now confirmed for the highly anticipated competition with all of the eight city-based teams confirming signings today.
England Men’s internationals Jonny Bairstow and Tom Banton have committed to Welsh Fire while World Cup winner Jason Roy is confirmed to stay at Oval Invincibles.
London Spirit have also made strides in securing their overseas signings with Pakistani quick bowler Mohammad Amir, and a pair of all-rounders with Afghanistan’s Mohammad Nabi and South Africa’s Chloe Tryon all due to represent the side at Lord’s.
The remaining retained men’s players will be announced on February 4 while the women’s squads will continue to be announced in the coming months.