Skip to main content

30 Apr 2020

A Day in the Life Of Andy Livsey

Whilst many of us are working from home, there are a small number of staff on-site at Emirates Old Trafford, working hard to ensure that there is a safe, legal and fully functioning stadium to return to.

Essential work, including fire alarm tests, plant room checks and legionella monitoring are all continuing in the background. There are a small team of maintenance staff at the Club who are working through a daily programme of checks, tests, monitoring and repairs.

We catch up with Andy Livsey, one of the maintenance team at the venue, who tells us about his typical day.

My typical day

I arrive on-site and check the report from the overnight security guard to see if there are any urgent jobs that need seeing to from overnight. Then, I check in with the hotel staff who are still on-site and have a general sweep of the venue.

We are still generating a small amount of waste, so the loading bay, bins and waste collections need managing and attending to. It’s my responsibility to get the grass, recycling and waste rounded up and taken away as normal.

When we were in the process of moving closer to lockdown, the Facilities Manager and Technical Manager set out a checklist of daily jobs for each shift, so I work my way through those. They have both been on the phone when I need them, and we have a couple of WhatsApp groups where we can call on different peoples’ expertise when needed. It’s also a great way to keep in touch and have a bit of a laugh and a joke with everyone.

Whilst we are closed, each hot and cold tap, sink, shower, kitchen and pipe in the stadium needs to be flushed once a week, which can be quite time consuming, particularly in the hotel where there’s lots of them!

I’m also trying to squeeze in a few jobs which we aren’t normally able to do when we’re busy, and we’re trying to complete some jobs ourselves which we would normally pay contractors to do. I sweep the ground again before leaving at night, locking up and making sure the site is safe and secure, before meeting with the night security to hand it over.

It’s quite eerie sometimes as I’m used to the stadium being busy with lots of hustle and bustle at this time of the year. However, I know I’m doing important work to make sure that we can hit the ground running when things go back to ‘normal’ and we’re able to maintain our usual service.